Total Pageviews

Tuesday 12 February 2019

Alma Cogan


Alma Angela Cohen (19 May 1932 – 26 October 1966), known professionally as Alma Cogan, was an English singer of traditional pop music in the 1950s and early 1960s. Dubbed the "Girl with the Giggle in Her Voice", she was the highest paid British female entertainer of her era.
In 1953, while recording "If I Had a Golden Umbrella", she broke into a giggle; she then played up the effect on later recordings. Soon she was dubbed the "Girl with the giggle in her voice" ("Giggle" has sometimes been quoted as "chuckle".)
Many of her recordings were covers of U.S. hits, especially those recorded by Rosemary Clooney, Teresa Brewer, Georgia Gibbs, Joni James and Dinah Shore. Her voice was often compared with Doris Day's. One of these covers, "Bell Bottom Blues", became her first hit, reaching no. 4 on 3 April 1954. Cogan would appear in the UK Singles Chart eighteen times in the 1950s, with "Dreamboat" reaching no. 1. Other hits from this period include "I Can't Tell a Waltz from a Tango", "Why Do Fools Fall in Love", "Sugartime" and "The Story of My Life". Cogan's first album, I Love to Sing, was released in 1958.... Cogan topped the annual NME reader's poll as "Outstanding British Female Singer" four times between 1956 and 1960.
( Info Edited From Wikiepedia )

Now this one is one to go a bit crazy about..forget the Alma Cogan of the "Novelty Songs"....She does a fantastic job on these standard songs I urge everyone to have a listen you won't be disappointed...I feel that if she was still with us she would have acchieved a lot more vocal wise and I recon this album proves it...Just listen to the last track "If Love Were All"Pure Magic!!!


1. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
2. I've Never Been In Love Before
3. The Lady's In Love With You
4. I'm In The Mood For Love
5. Somebody Loves Me
6. Can't Help Falling In Love

1. Hello Young Lovers
2. Our Love Affair
3. Love Me As Though There Were No Tomorrow
4. Love Is Just Around The Corner
5. let Me Love You
6. If Love Were All





1. I Can't Give You Anything But Love.

2 comments: